Friday, April 29, 2011

Mediocrity... I think not!

I heard some say recently that most people are mediocre. When I heard this I thought it was pretty harsh. But I think he was right. He then went on and said that the the definition of 'talents' needed to be altered.
I liked this thought.
What are you good at? Immediately we think of artistic or athletic things. Something that can be viewed or measured. Something to receive praise for. Well maybe you don't but I do.
tal·ent –noun 1. a special natural ability or aptitude
So what are your talents? I believe we've all got them. First think of the things you are good at, then think a bit deeper. I used to think that it was prideful to think I was good at things. But a dear friend pointed out that it's when we start comparing ourselves to others that it turns to pride. That helped me a lot. I learned it really is such a good thing to recognize those things that we are good at or have a special natural ability or aptitude for. The Lord thinks so too.

Matthew 25
15 And unto one he agave five btalents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability;
In the story we know how the one servant with five went and multiplied it and the one with two also multiplied his talents that he was given. I think this is very hopeful because there are a lot of things that I want to be able to do and be good at. I want to be more patient and I want to be a better student, I also want to learn about photography. So no matter what we've been given we can always add to it. But like the one servant who hid his talent if we don't even recognize those great things about us, there isn't much hope for increase?
So as many of us may feel mediocre I say that we have many talents that aren't mediocre, and the great part is that we can gain more!

Here are some I've noticed in others....
My mom: She's amazing with children. They never doubt that she loves them. Which I never have.
My dad: Honesty. I've always said he's the only honest lawyer out there.
My sis-in-law: Kindness
My big brother: Naturally brilliant. He was reading the newspaper at 2!
My other big brother: Apologizing... I hated this at first. But it's something I'm trying to pick up.
My uncle: being silly!
My bestie: Giving service.

And just to list two friend I know for sure will read this...
Jen: Most courageous person I know.
Melinda: Lives life to the fullest.

What are your talents?

1 comment:

Melwel said...

Well aren't you kind, genuine and sweet.....what great talents you have.


And you can DANCE!