Friday, April 15, 2011

Drawers...

So I feel like saying that I lost something this week, but I didn't really lose it. I just chose to shut the drawer on it and focus on other things. I can't even recall what caused me to close the drawer...but regardless I had.
I think of my mind in these terms. A decent sized room... maybe the size of a average bedroom. Filled from floor to ceiling with drawers. Kind of like a filling cabinet idea, but they are not all the same size. There is a drawer for each aspect of my life. School, work, family, hobbies, friends, but it's more specific than that. Each hobbie has a drawer, and each class I'm taking, and each family member. Depending on it's importance and longevity in my life, this effects the size and how far back the drawer goes. So each night while I lay in bed I go into "my room" and close drawers. Some remain open, but only the things worth thinking about. This helps me fall asleep.

So this past week I had a lot of drawers opened up and get added to.
School. My car broke. Chronic health issues. Boys.

But along with all these drawers being opened I realize now I closed a very important one.

My hope drawer.
This drawer is usually open, or being added to. I am usually pretty optimistic about things. But I must have gotten distracted and lost sight of it. And for some reason when drawers like this close it triggers the depressed drawer to automatically opened... I need to check into that.
Here is what I know of hope. Hope is the end goal. Faith is what keeps me moving forward toward this unseen end goal. This can apply to anything. Eternal life with my Father in Heaven is the ultimate goal, but every day things can fit in this as well. I hope to get into grad school. I hope to do well in school. But just wanting those things isn't enough. Steven Snow, an apostle stated, "Hope can inspire dreams and spur us to realize those dreams. Hope alone, however, does not cause us to succeed. Many honorable hopes have gone unfulfilled, shipwrecked on the reefs of good intentions and laziness."
Action is everything. Action towards an unseen event or goal is simply faith. So therefore hope without faith is nothing. Looks like I need to add a lot more to my Hope drawer. It wasn't as full as I thought. And all a drawer requires to keep it in order is action.
This drawer analogy for my thoughts really helps put into perspective what's important in my life. Drawers like Hope, go on forever. There is no back to them. But my school drawer, though it's pretty big, has a back to it. And the dating drawer, although small, most definitely has a back to it! 
You know what's also cool! I can create drawers. Drawers I had never thought would be apart of this 'room.' That's the beauty of this life. I am in control of who I want to be and become. I find that beautiful and exciting! In sight of this I've started to purge thoughts to make room for new thoughts and things.  I went through one night and purged all the movies I wished I had never seen. I've got this awesome shredder in the floor of "my room", so I just pull out the thought and get rid of it. (You may think I'm crazy. But it has worked.)

Hope drawer opened... Check.
Depressed drawer closed... Check

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Cami I love reading all your wisdom! You give me great things to think about! Thanks!