Saturday, April 23, 2011

To you this Easter:

My Dear Savior:
In light of the Easter season I thought I could write you.
Tears come to my eyes now as I try to convey in words my feelings about this event we call Easter. Although this holiday has become colorful and filled with eggs and bunny rabbits I try and recall the events that led up to this glorious day.
When I reflect on the beginning of your sacrifice, the Atonement, I recall the scripture in Luke 22: 41-44
41And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,

42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
44And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

At this moment you willing took upon yourself the sins of the world. Our sins, the things that separet us from you and the Father. In these words I see that this was not something easy for you, you in fact asked for it to end. But your humility in submitting to the will of the Father shows how much you truly love us all. Then in your plea, the Father sent you an angel that strengthened you. Even you, the Son of God needed help and strength to fulfill this task. But what is truly beautiful to me is the next verse it says 'in an agony' you 'prayed more earnestly.' This angel didn't take away anything did it? The angel did not 'remove the cup' but in essence gave you the strength to preserve. Thank you! Thank you for that example of faith and courage and charity to do that which seems impossible.
I will not in detail go through the events of the next day. The betrayal, trial, whippings, mocking, ridicule, and lastly your final task of hanging on the cross...Again...why you did this for me I'll probably never fully understand in this life. But in 3 Nephi 27:14 you state your purpose,
14 And my Father sent me that I might be alifted up upon the bcross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the ccross, that I might ddraw all men unto me...

For the short time I got to be a missionary, this is what I got to help you do. 'draw all men unto' you...I was honored to be apart of your work and purpose, and I thank you for the countless times that you sent angels to me to strengthen me in difficult times.

So as I reflect on Easter and the resurrection, what really fills me with gratitude is your life, example, and love for me. I know I fall short so often of what you know I can be. I try hard each day to live up to who I can be. Who you know I can be. Because I know there will be a day when I am in your presence once more, and at that day the only thing I wish to know is that I never took advantage of that which you did for me. I want to make it worth it, all that you suffered for.  Because no matter how hard life gets, I know that there will be a day when I get to see you again. I imagine that day, falling at your feet, and the feeling of relief, and peace filling me...no matter how difficult it all gets here, I know that being there, with you will make it all worth it.

I love you. I hope that through the way I live my life you see that. Because never will I be able to repay you for what you did. But I pray that each day I can show you my gratitude by living more like you each day.

Much love.
Me.

1 comment:

Melwel said...

that was just beautiful.......thanks for sharing