Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why families?

You know there was a time when I thought it would just be better to be single the rest of my life. It wasn't out of selfishness but out of fear and a lack of faith on my part. However a lot has changed over the years.
A woman in her 70's was talking about how there might be a possibility of her having liver cancer. She said that she was so tired of fighting her health that she was done. But after her many exhausted reasons for not wanting to go through more health procedures, she sighed and said "what scares me the most is that I wont be able to see my granddaughter perform. I don't care about me anymore. I just want to be there for her." I met another women in her 50's battling leukemia and she said the same thing. Others came to mind and how they have had very difficult lives, but the minute they are able to do something for their children or grandchildren their whole countenance changes.
This I thought is the reason the Father puts us in families. Because life is difficult and sometimes it just can be overwhelming. So instead of making our lives all about us, so that all we think about is ourselves, the Lord puts within us this desire to have children and families so that as life goes on we have a reason to keep fighting. When the motivation is based on love for others one can do anything! How else would Christ have been able to endure all that he did, had he not had his focus been on us?
Just a thought that makes me so grateful for my family and grateful for the opportunity to have a family of my own. Not right now... just in general. :)

1 comment:

Life Is What We Make It! said...

I REALLY like this post. You're super cute!