Friday, April 29, 2011

Today in History...

Well in my history at least.
So two years ago today, April 29th I received my call to serve in the Texas Dallas Mission. For those of you who have experienced that thrill that is receiving a mission call you'll understand, but to help others I'll try and explain how it feels.
To explain how weird it is, from the date you put in your papers and the day you open your call, it's just bizarre.You begin to realize you could go ANYWHERE in the whole entire world. I wont lie, I wanted to go somewhere 'cool' even if it was in the states. I wanted badly to learn a language. Preferably Chinese.So it's really really weird just waiting to find out where you will fall in love with. Because I've never met a returned missionary that didn't love their mission.
So I got my call and waited for my family to be home. Now my brother did it completely opposite. When he got his call, he went into the basement and then came up and told us individually. He made me guess... Finland was not one of my guesses. So ten years later as I'm getting mine, he told me he regretted not opening it with family, he was just afraid to to show any disappointment. So I waited. Well that evening we gathered together and I opened it up and pull out this booklet thingy... yes I left the call letter in there. So it took me awhile to figure out where I was going. But finally I saw "Texas Dallas Mission." All I thought was ... "Okay, I'm going to Texas.' And before I opened it this is the last place I wanted to go. But when I got my call that's not how I felt. No disappointment at all, just acceptance.
And now it's been two years since that night and I look back and am elated that I got to go to Dallas. I'll list a few reasons why it was so good for me
1. I got to speak English. I taught a lesson my first night. What a blessing.
2. It is close. I get to go back and visit very easily.
3. Living in Utah a lot of people come to visit! It's such a blessing.
The Lord knows me so much better than I know myself. He knows how important it is for me to communicate with others and have people I love close to me. I feel so blessed to have served the people in Dallas.
One of which is having a birthday today. My dear friend Sarah. Sarah and I met a little over a year ago and instantly knew that we were friends. She's such an amazing woman I am so grateful for her friendship I know she will be a strength to me the rest of my life. Happy Birthday Sarah I love you!
I sometimes I am just in awe of life and where it has taken me... or not taken me. I have had many plans for my life, but none of them included a mission. I'm so grateful for the Lords hand in my life. I love simply love where I'm at, who I am, and knowing who I can become.

No comments: