Monday, April 11, 2011

Farewell

The Church is reorganizing all the singles/student wards in the church and mine will see it's effects this next month so in dedication to my beloved 6th Ward,

University 6th Ward, University 5th Stake, Salt Lake City Utah
Unknown-May 1st 2011

I owe a lot to this Ward and the people in it. Four years ago I was, as called in LDS culture, "ward hopping." I didn't fit in my family ward, and I tried all the singles/student wards around my house. But I just wasn't feeling good about it.
My former bishop of my family ward was assigned to a student ward up at the U. In August I saw him and asked him details about his ward. So I went, and after the first meeting I knew it's where I should be. I felt comfortable and included right away.
As I look back I recognize how much of an influence being in this ward at this time in my life helped shape who I am and the choices I made. Because my former bishop knew me so well, he recommended I serve in a calling that would get me to more involved. So immediately I got to know the members and made new friends.
But all in all, three major things happened that have forever altered my life.
1st. I gained a new respect and appreciation for women in the church. I was surrounded by these amazing girls who had accomplished so much and I admired them and all their accomplishments.
2nd. Along with the first, they all had one thing in common... They were returned missionaries. This began a desire to form within me.
3rd. So along with that when my wonderful Bishop followed the inspiration from the spirit to ask me in a time of choices if I had thought of serving a mission, well I realize now how much the Lord was preparing me to serve him.
These three things all influenced the next. Had I not joined the ward due to a great former bishop, I wouldn't have found the ward that would unite me with a new bishop that I would become close to and feel I can go to in times of confusion. Who would then, help me in a very hard but very great decision that I have never once regretted.
So University 6th ward, thank you for shaping my life. A life I never imagined but am so happy with. Because of this ward, I have wonderful friends and more importantly a stronger testimony that the Lord truly knows us and prepares us for things to come.

No comments: