Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dear Dating:

Dear Dating:
I'm sure you are aware but many of us young folk haven't been to involved with you lately. It's getting pretty bad actually. Now I know I know, I haven't always been supportive of you myself. And you get a lot of flack from friends of mine,  "I hate dating!" I mean now that's just harsh. I always have responded with, "I'm not familiar with dating enough to know." But here is where I think the problems lies, not with you, but with how us young folks have changed our view of you.
Back in the day you were far more simple and easy to understand. You seemed so simple in all the movies. You were simply a date. NOW.... Well gosh. You get involved even once with a male and female and everything goes crazy! Both parties start freaking out! Where did this misconception begin that you are something to fear? Or even freak out about? Some people get so nervous and excited about you. No offence you're great and all. But do you like being taken so seriously? Wouldn't you rather people just view you as what you are? A fun opportunity to get to know someone new? And hey, if by chance people want to make you a regular part of their relationship, well dog gone it! That's wonderful!
I wonder too, if we'd all feel differently if we better understood your purpose... Marriage. I know that helped me a lot. Remember when I used to avoid you at all costs? I'm sorry. It was nothing personal, just personl issues I had to work out. I had to figure myself out first before getting involved with you. But your purpose is actually pretty great. But sadly I think many of us are afraid of you and this thing called marriage that you lead to. All it takes is a little faith right?
A wise person recently told me that, anyone who avoids good things aren't bad in any way. They are just avoiding experience. And why else are we here in this life, but to have experience? So why, why, Dating are so many people so afraid of you? All you are is experience. Experience that can teach us and help us to grow. So what if through you we get hurt? Aren't we also opening up opportunities to be happy? Everything is a chance. Everything in life takes faith. Even you.
So dating I guess all I'm trying to say, is sorry. Sorry you've gotten such a bad rap. Sorry that a lot of people are avoiding you. Sorry that you are made out to be something way more than you really are. Dating I'll do my best to make sure others don't put you down anymore or avoid you... Well I'll just do my part to not avoid you. I don't really have too much control. Agency always seems to be around... Maybe you two can have a chat. :)
Hope things start to look up!


Sincerely


Me.

1 comment:

Mallary said...

You just said that perfectly! Thank you. I myself have avoided dating because of these very reasons! When on earth did dating get to be this huge deal? It's supposed to be fun right? And it is when you are with someone who also understands that.