Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reasons why 'Hairspray' is so good.

NO I'm not about to argue why 'Hairspray' is a wonderful musical, but more so explain why our production at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre is so good. These are just a few things you probably wont see if you come... But trust me they make the show what it is!
At the beginning of the night we begin with hair and makeup. This consists of a time of ratting ones hair to inexplicable heights and dancing in our pre-costume clothing to anything but Justin Beiber and Coldplay. Discussion on what happened on Glee, and The Real Housewives of what not and more television shows I know nothing about, this continues until someone says something like 'My grandpa was a Nazi.' this then draws our attention away from the current topic.
We then all convene in the 'green room,' no it's not green. If you're lucky you'll get to hear things like 'Father, help us to blow the audiences minds tonight with our singing and dancing.' during a prayer.
Then I walk my fellow council girl to our hiding places during 'Good Morning Baltimore' where we continue to perform our own choreography and make faces at fellow actors, on our platforms that could fall over at any moment with too much movement.
Then the moment comes when we are revealed to the audience in all our glory. Little do you know, that all we are thinking about is how not to fall off and break our leg! But we sure do look cute!
If anyone has any ideas on how one can comment on a butterfly pin that moves, I'm stuck on 'I really like your butterfly pin.' or 'I hate your butterfly pin.' I've used both for the same scene. Don't worry this wont be heard by the audience, just two other council girls.
At the conclusion of the first act we freeze mid action, I go as fast as I can offstage to avoid freezing awkwardly on stage. Sometimes, Velma and I make it....Sometimes she doesn't. That's when I persist in rejoicing off stage with her watching in hatred. Usually we do a victory dance though. She's usually quite fast.
Intermission= Ugly dance dance off.
Big Doll House= Favorite scene of the night. Don't worry not only have I almost fallen off the bench, I've also sang part of the soloist's line, tripped of the set piece, and gotten hit in the face by a fellow council girl. Again I'm open for any ideas on what the definition of a 'Hardy Harr Hutt' could be. Again this will not be heard by the audience. So far we've gotten, skin factory, tanning salon, hot dog vendor, saloon....anything to break a fellow actor will do.
Prior to the number 'Hairspray' if you were back stage you would get to see the council kids hold hands and in a line serpentine their way to their places off stage. Where we then jump through the splits in the curtains so as not to be seen by the audience.
Those are just a few things you probably wouldn't get to enjoy if you came to show. . . But I reassure you that they all impact the awesomeness that is 'Hairspray' at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre.

3 comments:

Mallary said...

OH! It sounds so fun! I wish I were there with you. Especially now that I have no more job... yeah long story. As for the butterfly pin, this is the best I can come up with, "wow! That's tacky!" or "that looks like it's going to fly right off your chest!" or "How hideous of you to wear that pin." Lame, all of them, I know. Miss you!

Sweet J said...

BUT you can see naked pictures of me on facebook. You are welcome America.

I heart Cami

Melwel said...

Hee...Hee... That's right!