Friday, March 11, 2011

Be of good cheer...

So for my job I have down time between phone calls. Immediatly I'm welcomed by msnbc and their coverage of the tsunami in Japan. I like my job being able to keep me up to date on news and what's goind on. But I'm afraid it causes a greater sense of reality for me. Last month Christchurch, New Zealand suffered a large earthquake. There story written on a college student and how she was able to text her family just after it happened. The story had her text conversation to her month. Asking for help and expressing fear. Her family lived in Africa, and her last text asked them to hurray. She was not recovered.
Then today I was watching footage of the huge wave of water spiling into cities of Japan and I saw a car driving on a highway to get away from the wave that was bounding towards them.
Not only does my heart go out to all those effected but I was very effected by these two instances. I put myself in both those situations. Suffocating to death, alone, while texting my mom. And watching as a wave of water destroys my home town and coming at me, possiby sweeping me up any minute. The fear would be overwhelming.
I thought, 'what would I be able to hold onto so as  not panic and remain calm? The only thing that came to mind were the words of our Savior, 'Be of good cheer and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you..."(Doc.&Cov. 68:6) as well as in the book of Joshua the lord repeats to the prophet,  "only be strong and of a good courage."

No comments: