Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stepping out into the sea...

Matt 14:24-27
"But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the forth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the seas, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid."

Emphasis is added to go along with a thought that was shared with me today at Institute. 'Sometimes in life what first scares you to death will be the resolution to the problem.' -Bro. Jack Marshall.

The apostles were in a hard situation, being 'tossed with waves' and at first glance when seeing a man walking on the water their first thoughts went to fear. When it was in fact an answer to their struggles.

This hit home with me. That sometimes those things that really scare me the most are the ones that I must put my whole faith in and move forward. Christ then calls to Peter to come out of the boat and come unto him. Instead of avoiding the opportunities that at first bring fear to me, I should with more faith pray that I can have the strength to step out of the boat into the waves. I will undoubtedly get wet but, with my focus on the Savior I will not drown. I just need to have faith that by stepping on the water and focusing on Christ I will not fall... "...Lord, it it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus." With faith in the Savior we too can do miraculous things! . . . Time to step out!

1 comment:

Mallary said...

I didn't know you had a blog! I'm going to be following you now. Thanks for this post too. I often fight with my perfectionistic side and need to remember that it's okay to struggle a little bit.