Monday, July 18, 2011

R.O.A.D. Trip.



R is for Reunion. This road trip was to go celebrate my mission presidents completing their service to the Lord.
This is Allie and I waiting in who knows where for our turn on the highway shut down to a one lane road.
Best quote from the drive down.
Jesse, 23 yr old Male whom also served with us.
"My Dad asked if I was going to cut my hair(he has a mullet) and shave. I said "No." I'm an adult! I can do what I want!" This was repeated many times over the 72 hours we were together whenever someone made a really stupid decision.
Brian and I decided since we were at the temple together we might as well elope! ... For about a minute while we took this picture.


Weird memory for day two: Standing by a pool in my swimming suit talking with 5 former Elders in their swimming suits.... Things were a bit different last time we were all together...

O is for Hugs! You know like X's and O's :) I got to give my mission president a great big hug! The moment they walked into the chapel we all jumped up and ran over to them! Instantly there was a line of 30 some odd 20-year-olds resembling children waiting in line to see Santa. 
It felt so right to be sitting in the chapel listening to the awesome testimonies of my mission president and his wife. I'm so honored I got to serve with them and watch and learn from their example.

This is Brooke and I just chilling at President's house...

The hardest part of the trip was when Sis. Smith said 'I've missed you so much. I just want to sit down and talk with you...' Having to tell her I had to get in my car and drive 10 hours to get home and go to work the next morning was not something I wanted to do. I wanted nothing more than to curl up on the couch with her and talk for hours... One day.

A is for Adventure
Well we're on the road cruising, knowing that we were going to get home around 2:00 am (I had to be to work at 7:00) Then all the sudden... This.
Highlight from this though... Jesse putting on my Rollerblades and going up the highway and then flying past us 10 minutes later. I was laughing hysterically.
Now on to the adventurous part.
They made us turn around on the highway, we're not sure if they made us but people were and we couldn't see why it was closed so we did as everyone else did. Then we were directed to an exit that put us going back south...well we sure as heck didn't want to go south. We ended up stopping some people and got directions to go up this random road and we were told it would turn into a dirt road and to take two lefts then we would get into Flagstaff...Um...okay.
Well we took it. After some time we weren't finding the dirt road and we were headed in the wrong direction. Allie voiced concern. They already knew I was nervous. So we stopped. Jesse pointed out the this road wasn't going to no where so we should just see where it goes and then figure it out then. The thought came to mind, to trust the priesthood holder. Allie and I were both thinking too much. So we start driving again and around the curve in the road not 50 yards ahead of us was the dirt road. Followed by a sign leading us towards a state road.
Allie and I found it very funny that we stopped right out of site of the dirt road. Allie and I laughed and reflected on how maybe in life we panic or get scared or question just that much too soon. Just right before something is revealed.
What we gained from this very bizarre detour was a beautiful drive through the mountains in Arizona. We saw the sun setting on these beautiful small lakes with trees all around. It was breathtaking.

D is for DEAD tired!
I got home at 4:15 this morning... My alarm went off at 6:00 so that I could be to work at 7:00... I calculated that I only got a total of maybe 9 hours over the past 72 hours.... Yes I'm shaking a bit and a bit wobbly... Good thing I'm sitting down at work.

No comments: