Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mitt Romney's Tithing... Really?



This article was on the Deseret News online and it discussed how now that Mitt Romney has filled his taxes they are public record and we get to see how much he actually paid in tithing and blah blah blah. * (I'm not a political person. I follow it more now because I'll become a state employee soon, however me and politics, well they just aren't my favorite thing. I neither support nor reject Mitt Romney as a presidential candidate. This post has nothing to do with his campaign.) Okay. So in the article in the Deseret News this post was mentioned from a gentlemen who writes for Forbes. He writes, and I quote,
               "Now, depending on how you look at Romney’s tithing, this can create some policy
               implications (or faith policies) for the entire LDS church.  I almost half-jokingly expect the next
                General Conference to address this issue.  Romney, by releasing his tax forms may have
               reopened a debate within the church as to how much should be given – after all, he will become
               the LDS example that others will look to.  It’s not just a presidency that he’ll represent, if his
               tithing isn’t up to par within the church – that could create some interesting complications within
               the church itself.  If his finances aren’t in line with the church, what sort of political ideals will he be
               representing?  And just because he is rich, or just because he becomes the President, it wouldn’t
               preclude him from tithing." - Kia Petanien.

Okay, so how is this going to create a faith policy for me? Why would the amount Mit Romney pays in tithing open a debate within the church of how much should be given? We know how much should be given. God has told us through a living prophet. Mit Romney is not the president of the LDS church. Thomas S. Monson is. And no, Mitt Romney will not become THE LDS example of what others will look to. My example is Christ. It's his(Christ's) church after all. I don't see how Mitt Romney's tithing would create complications within the church either. I could care less what he pays. It has no effect on my relationship with the Father and his Son than anyone else's tithe in this church. It doesn't matter what anyone else pays. It(tithing) like all other commandments are a way for us to show our love to our Father in heaven. So for me, a full tithe paying member in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I'm going to go right on paying my 10% tithe to my Father in Heaven. And Mitt Romney can go on paying his 10% or whatever he wants. I do not hold the responsibility to judge my fellowman. That's Christ's job.

No comments: