Saturday, January 21, 2012

Respect.

Something was recently brought to my attention that I found very odd. I overheard someone who describes themselves as agnostic use Jesus Christ as an expletive. Now, before going further I want to make it clear that I fully respect an individuals rights to practise what they believe when it comes to religion. Really it makes no difference to me. But I found it odd, that someone who has no desire to participate in religion chooses to use one of the most iconic religious figures in the world as a part of their daily vocabulary. Especially using it in such derogatory ways. I then thought about the countless people who probably fall under the same category who are Atheist. I then wondered do how many use God's name in vain? The term 'Oh my God' is far to common today. I can't even stand it when people put OMG. It makes me sick. Back to my thought though, if someone who is Atheist says that phrase it's completely contradictory. It would be like me saying "Oh my Buddha." Right? Because He isn't their God. But He is mine. So just like I would never show such disrespect to another religions figure, I ask that those who do not believe in our Father and Savior show the same respect.