Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Institute Insights

So this was from last week. I'm taking "Teachings of the Living Prophets" so we get to go over the most recent conference talks.

Last week we watched Pres. Uchtdorfs talk, "Of Regrets and Resolutions" But what stuck with me the most was how my teacher chose to preface the talk.

He told of a CES fireside given by Elder Holland back in 1999. It was broadcast to the entire church but live in attendance were the local CES employees. So my teacher, Robert Line, was in attendance. Bro. Line told how the fireside ended and they all got up to leave and suddenly over the speakers they hear Elder Hollands voice say, "Wait! I'm not done. I just had to finish because of the broadcast. But sit down. I still have more to say." I love Elder Holland.

Elder Holland then counseled these CES teachers on the "6 Top Priorities in Your Life." So I'm going to share them with you now.

1. Physical and Spiritual Self
2. Spouse
3. Children
4. Calling
5. Career
6. Civic duties

We then talked about how important it is to keep these priorities in line.

Immediately I noticed that I needed to take better care of myself physically. I've been doing better and have set goals and have noticed a difference,  but this is something I'll need to continue to do the rest of my life. Bro. Line told us that Elder Holland continued to explain that #1 was really just putting God First in our lives. That with God in the proper place all the other priorities will be able to be taken care of. And to not let one over power the other. That physical and spiritual needs are equally important.

One girl raised her hand and said "Um, where are friends on that list? I'm single and friends are really important to me." My teacher went on to say that maybe they fell in line around 3 or 4. I disagreed. I raised my hand, not to be confrontational, but I felt like if friends needed to be up there Elder Holland would have added them. So I said 'No. I think it's exactly how it should be. How often do we, as singles, replace friends with #2. It's a whole lot easier to just priorities our friends than find a spouse.' There was no argument.

But this could go with anything. How easy it is to mix up these priorities. I'm guilty of it. I reflected and recognized times that I haven't put the Lord first and my relationship with him, and I've suffered. Not only spiritually, but physically as well. And then all my other 'priorities' took a beating too.

So with that teaching in mind we listened to Elder Uchtdorfs talk.  What I remember most about his talk is the counsel to "find happiness". I remember envisioning this mass of happiness that was just out there. Something tangible, waiting to be grasped. All we need to do is find it.

Along with that, I was talking to a friend on Sunday. We had been having a very personal conversation, he mentioned that he missed the sunshine and that always makes him gloomy. I said something like "Oh yeah! Seasonal depression is a pain. But some of us get to deal with it year round." He looked at me puzzled. I smiled. Then he said "So... " I said, "Yes. I suffer from depression. I have for years." My friend: "Well, then can I ask you something? If that is the case, why is it that you always seem so positive all the time? Because, it doesn't seem like you'd be someone who deals with that."

I told him that I've learned to recognize it for what it is. A space of time that causes me to lose all desires to do anything. I acknowledge it, accept it, and keep doing what needs to be done. I remind myself that it's not permanent. That the things I feel and think are not truth. I told him that I've learned to recognize the difference between what is truth and what are the lies Satan is trying to feed me. I told him that I may have depression, but I don't have to be depressed. That I believe all things can be healed through the Atonement.

But I think a main reason that I'm able to preserver through this physical/mental abnormality is that I do my very best to put God first in my life. He is my strength and motivation. I don't want to ever think that I don't need him there. Nothing frightens me more than when I think "I don't need to pray today." Or "I don't need to read my scriptures." Because who am I to not need the Lord that day?

Another institute teacher once taught this same idea that we needed Christ at the center of our lives, holding everything else up. Because if we put our spouse, family, job, or anything else there, those things may fail us. A spouse may die, or leave, family may choose to not stick around, or not come at all, you can lose a job, but Christ is and always will be the Savior. He will not let us down. Upon the rock of our redeemer we cannot fail.

I think this is a day by day thing. At least it seems like it will be for me. Each day  making decisions that put my priorities where they need to be. To be open to the spirit and following the counsel of my Father at what is best for me to be doing.

No comments: