Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Daily Study Thoughts

I hope you don't mind me sharing my daily scripture study thoughts. I don't do this out of boasting to show off what I learn, I do it more with a feeling of gratitude for the things I come to understand better.

I read Mosiah 27 today. I love this chapter. It shows how truly remarkable the power of the Atonement can be.

I had a thought today about these sons of Mosiah and the son of Alma. We know that they had "become numbered among the unbelievers", "wicked", "idolatrous", "leading people away from the truth", "stealing away the hearts of the people, giving a chance for the enemy of God to exercise his power over" others. (Mosiah 27:8-9) Then through the "power and authority of God" an angel comes to answer the prayers of Gods servants according to their faith.(Mosiah 27:14) As the chapter continues we read about the conversion of Alma the younger. Later in the Book of Mormon we are able to know better about his conversion. But my thought today came near the end of the chapter. In verse 32.

It recalls how Alma(the younger) now begins to go about and teach the people about the redeeming power of the Atonement. "Traveling round about through all the land, publishing to all the people the things which they(sons of Mosiah and himself) had heard and seen, and preaching the word of God..." Now here comes the important part, "Preaching the word of God in much tribulation, being greatly persecuted by those who were unbelievers, being smitten by many of them."

Now, continuing through the story we learn that these 5 men become instrumental in building Gods kingdom at this time. I thought to myself, how difficult that would have been to remain firm in their testimonies.

They went from one extreme to the other. Before the angel came they had many friends I'm sure. Many that believed them and followed after them. Listening to their every word. I'm sure they were very well liked by this group of people. And then following their conversion to then go and tell all these people, their friends most likely, about what was real and true. That they were wrong. Then to only be received with "much tribulation", "persecution", and "being smitten by many." How easy would you find it to continue to be true to the gospel and what you know is right? Which would be the easier thing to do?

How would I do in this situation? How many times do I find myself repentant and ready to change, only to go right back to what I once did because it's easier? Easier to live in my sin than to be diligent and continue forward facing much tribulation, persecution, and being smitten.

How did they do it? How do I do this?

Elder W.F. Gonzalez, spoke in Oct 2012 conference about "Learning with our Hearts." He speaks about the fact that we cannot have complete understanding without the applying our hearts to understanding.(Mosiah 12:27) It's only through this understanding with our hearts that I believe we can maintain conversion. Not just enjoy it briefly but maintain it, and live it. He continues and says....
 
        "We access this celestial source when we do things such as reading the scriptures, hearkening to the living prophet, and praying. It is also important to take to be still and feel and follow the celestial promptings. When we do this, we will feel and see things that cannot be learned with modern technology. Once we have some experience in navigating this celestial web, we will discern the truth, even when reading secular history or other topics. The honest seekers of truth will know the truth of all things by the power of the Holy Ghost."

He emphasizes that this is an important way to come to know Christ to feel these things. "By coming unto Christ, every soul can see, feel, and know of a surety that Christ suffered and atoned for our sins that we may have eternal life... Thanks to Him, wounded souls may be healed and broken hearts may be mended... He will not fail you... Verily our conversion unto Him is rewarded with our healing."

I'm so grateful for the scriptures and words of modern apostles that can lead us to know how to overcome ourselves and become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know there is no other way to find and experience peace in this life. I pray that each time I am once again thrown back into "tribulations", "persecutions" or being "smitten",(physically, mentally, or spiritually) that I will be able to be like Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah and continue to live in righteousness  feeling and knowing in my heart that Jesus is the Christ.


1 comment:

Lettie said...

Cams! Don't ever apologize for sharing things you learn. Love it (I read like 5 posts tonight) love you!