Friday, February 10, 2012

Teaching...

I'm going to be a teacher.  I had no idea what this endeavor would entail when I began my graduate degree.  Seriously, don't you think "Oh you take some information and teach it." Nope not quite. Here are just a few things that you are supposed to always remember.
1. Everybody can learn.
2. Don't make kids dumber.
3. Every student learns differently.
4. Find out each students back ground knowledge.
5. Keep in mind their learning styles.
6. Teach to the required core.
7. Be creative.
8. Get students to be active in their learning.
9. Be assessing their learning.
10. Make them feel safe.
11. Find out their reading levels.
12. Don't just give tests and quizzes.
13. Make new information applicable to the student.
14. Be firm in your rules.
15. Make sure they know you care about them.
16. Don't step on any toes within the school administration the first 3 years of teaching.
17. Join a teachers union or not to join a teachers union?
18. What committee will you be apart of?
19. Get the parents involved.
20. Accommodate all levels of learners in each lesson.
21. Find ways to hold kids accountable.
22. Make group work effective.
23. Help make students into productive people in society.(Really that's the whole point of public education. Does it happen?... Not so much.)
24.
25.

Seriously though I could keep going.  Needless to say, I really am starting to think that I've chosen probably the hardest profession out there.  If only I didn't love it so much. (Sigh) 

2 comments:

Melwel said...

YOu are going to be great at this..... I wish all teachers were as fun and dedicated!

Jane and Stuart said...

It is a hard profession, not that I would really know, but both my sister's were teachers. You will be such an amazing teacher. I hope My kid gets you for a teacher. ( :