Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Student Teaching Tid Bits: Swimming(drowning) in History

I don't blog. You want to know why? I'm ALWAYS reading about history. Currently I'm sitting on my floor with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 history book strewn about. Next to them are notes and note cards and teaching materials. Dag nab it, I better become the most awesome historian of all time!! Turns out though, these kids don't know much. So I already know more than them. I just have to know enough to talk for 90 freaking minutes. My professor said it himself, "90 minutes is too long" Agreed! Even college courses aren't that long. they are only 80 minutes! Sigh.

So all my thoughts consist of these days is... history. And what happened in history? Oh and how can I relate that to history? Is that something I should know for history? It probably doesn't help that I have this bloody praxis test to still pass. That adds more history. I don't think there is enough room in my brain!! What should I get rid of?... meaningless FRIENDS trivia? I mean that has been off the air for almost a decade. But, still funny. Random sports knowledge? I cringe at the thought. I think what's starting to slip out are the memories of what it's like to not be having to soak of historical knowledge.

And now to put it all on top of it... I have to know current events!! It's got to tie into today right? Make it relevant to them! Sadly for these kids I'm so far away from pop culture, my only source of information is facebook. So I find I listen to NPR more often. I LOVE NPR! Talk about responsible journalism. Want to  know what's really going on in the world and politics, listen to them! Or read it too online. By far the best journalism I've ever come across. And seeing that I have a dress in that... you might want to trust me on this.'

So there's even more knowledge I put in this old brain of mine. Seriously... how much can it hold?

Okay, I'm tired....

p.s. I'm choosing to not fix a mistake I just read in this post due to it's proof of how tired I actually was. "And seeing that I have a dress in that...you might want to trust me on this." What the heck does that mean?! Haha! It meant to say a degree. Ha ha! I just have no idea what I was thinking.