Thursday, October 28, 2010

Things I've learned.

So until I have more news to share I thought that I would share with you some things I've learned and share stories from my past many months of my life.

So I'll take you back to the begining of my mission. I'll be honest. I didn't really want to be there. Each day was a struggle having the desire to do the work. I kept thinking of all the things I could be doing and the things I was missing out on. I was thinking all about what I wanted. Pretty selfish I know. This obviously led to me feeling completely guilty that I wasn't wanting to be there doing the Lords work. I so badly wanted to give up and come home. I knew that no one would judge me or think less of me. But what I knew more is that I didn't want to be THAT person. I wanted to be someone that could do hard things. Someone that would do what was expected and do it well. I found strength through the scriptures and prayer.

One of my favorite example of doing hard things and faith is in the Book of Mormon, following the Prophet Alma. In Alma 8, Alma finds himself in the city of Ammonihah where "Alma labored much in the spirit, wrestlng with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirit upon the people who were in the city; that he would also grant that he might baptize them unto repentance." The response was the people withstood 'all his words, and reviled him, and spit upon him, and caused that he should be cast out of their city . . .' so Alma left and while leaving this city he was 'being weighed down with sorrow, wading through much tibulation and anguish of soul. . . it came to pass while Alam was thus weighed down with sorrow, behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto him, saying: Blessed art thou, Alma; therefore lift up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God . . . Behold I am sent to command thee that thou return to the city of Ammonihah and preach again unto the people of the city. . "

Okay I don't know about you but I sure as heck wouldn't want to go back to a place that I had been rejected and spit upon. I saw a lot of rejection in TX and there was never a time when I was rejected by someone that I ever would think to go back and try again. However here is where Alma's strength and faith are exemplified Alma 8:18 ". . . that after Alma had received his message from the angel of the Lord he returned speedily to the land of Ammonihah. And he entered the city by another way. . ." He returned speedily! What faith! For crying out loud. I think I would question and doubt and definitly not go speedily. This would be so hard and Alma just did it. In vs 20 we see how merciful the Lord is. Alma comes to a man and asks him for food. He is receieved by Amulek, a worthy man that the Lord had prepared to recieve his servant. Alma had NO idea that he would find safety in the walls of the city. He did not know that the Lord had prepared Amulek to not only take him in but become his greatest companion in the gospel.

I know that if we face those things that seem impossible with faith in the Lord he will prepare a way for us to be provided for. I know that the Lord only asks us to do things for our benefit. I did not want to be serving a mission at first, but once I gave up myself and submited to the Lord I began to thank him each day for the opportunity to serve him. We can serve him each day. By being a living example of him. Sometimes it may be hard to be like him, but I know he can help us do it.

Pres. Uchtdorf said "Try and keep trying until that which seems difficult becomes possile and that which seems only possible becomes habit and a real part of you."

I share these things in the name of our savior, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Life Is What We Make It! said...

you're so cool. can i invite you to my blog? if yes, give me your email. :)

Jessi said...

Cam!! It is so great to hear that you're home safe and sound. I loved this post. I felt the EXACT same way at the beginning of my mission. And really it never got any easier. My whole mission was extremely difficult. But the lessons I learned are invaluable, and when I look back on my service I don't even remember specific hard times, really. I remember that there were hard times, but the good times and spirit of service occupy all the heart space I have when it comes to the mission. And really, when I'm faced with a difficult situation now, I think to myself, "I went on a mission. I can do hard things. I can do this!"
Missions are simply amazing. Glad you're back!!