Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Student Teaching Tid Bits Day 3

Welcome to Student Teaching Tid Bits. 
This is where I will do my best to document that which is my experience being a student while also being a teacher... a bit of a paradox. Want to come along with me through my experience of Student Teaching? Well if you don't then choose not to read.

So today I was just in my history classes. (Tomorrow will be fun because I'm just taking the dance classes, not teaching them yet! Yahoo!)

People's lives are difficult. My teacher had the students fill out an autobiography sheet and only she and I read them. Some of these 16 year olds really deal with a lot. Many come from single parent homes. Parent's leaving them at young ages. Some students just hoping to be the first in their families to graduate high school. Some students having to move away from certain areas to get out of gangs and drugs. It's thrilling that they have been able to stay clean just because of a simple relocation. Some students not sure whether or not they're pregnant. Other's still trying to learn english. It's just amazing what us humans can put up with. 

I look at my life... Nothing compares to the difficulties they face. 

This more than ever makes me want to make a comfortable, safe, happy, fun classroom. You think I can do it? Gosh I hope so. I bet it'll make me happy in return. 

It'll probably be a lot more work. And harder on me sometimes. But I can do hard things right? 

Sadly working with older students not many funny things happen... Some students walked in like 25 minutes late and said they went to the wrong class and didn't notice. :) Sorry kids. Tardy! 

No comments: